7 October 2021 – 13.00 – 17.00
8 October 2021 – 9.00 -13.00
Teachers and practitioners in the field of Adult Basic Education
In the Erasmus+ project “Bridging Barriers” we aim to improve the professionalism of teachers in adult basic education in Europe by developing new approaches to make visible and systematise the specific skills and competences applied in this field while also enhancing networking among teachers. Partners from Austria, Italy, Slovakia and Switzerland have developed and implemented pilots for train-the-trainer courses. In the next step, we want to bring teachers, experts and participants from the courses from all participating countries together for international exchange.
Basic education is an essential part of adult education. It helps individuals to improve their basic skills in reading, writing and arithmetic as well as their IT skills. It helps migrants with low levels of formal education with learning the language of their host country. However, adult basic education is organised very differently within all European countries. Respective teacher training programmes lack a common, systematic basis.
In the three-year Erasmus+ funded project “Bridging Barriers – Competence Development of Trainers in Adult Basic Education”, foundations are being developed to make the field more professional and acknowledged across Europe. The development of a competence-based training module for teachers was one important step in the project. The main goals of this training that was tested in pilot courses in all participating countries this summer were to:
- give participants the space to reflect their day-to-day professional practice in a structured way
- make participants’ tacit knowledge regarding the support for students to overcome learning barriers visible and thereby available for deliberate use in daily work
- increase the scope of action and strengthen teachers’ agency
- gain insights in the competence development of adult educators and describe educators’ competences based on their activities
We continue this work in an international workshop that opens the space to:
- exchange and reflect on experiences made and insights gained in the pilot courses in an international setting
- discuss up-to-date challenges of adult basic education across Europe
- gain and strengthen educators’ networks in the field of adult basic education
- learn more about the Bridging Barriers project and its view on competence development of teachers in adult basic education
Key contents of the workshop will be:
Introduction to the Bridging Barriers project
Challenges of Adult Basic Education in Europe and its approaches (Virtual World Café and Plenary Discussion)
Key note speeches on the experiences from the pilot courses in the partner countries
Learning experiences in the context of the pilot course – the participants’ view
Reflection on the learning process and the methods used in the pilot courses
Participation is free of charge
You want to know more? Get in touch!
You are already convinced? Please register for participation until 1 October 2021!
Contact and registration: please contact the national partner
PS: For all participants that want to continue to engage in the topics presented, there will be an option to take part in the EBSN Annual Conference on 28 October 2021 (https://basicskills.eu/ebsn-annual-conference-2021/) – more information will be provided during the online workshop.